[FARC_list] ARRL DX Contest - this weekend - AND: TX5K

ai2n at twcny.rr.com ai2n at twcny.rr.com
Tue Feb 26 13:49:09 UTC 2013

Hi all.

The ARRL International DX SSB (Single Sideband, or Voice) contest is this weekend, starting Friday evening at 7 pm local and running for 48 hours.  DX stations will be interested in contacting -only- US/Canadian stations, so it's perhaps the BEST opportunity to work DX.  It is possible to contact 100 different countries in a single weekend.

Be careful on 40 and 75 meters during the hours of darkness.  Many DX stations are in regions that have different band plans than our own.  Most will be transmitting (voice) in our CW band and announcing the frequency (up in OUR phone band) that they'll be listening to.  It's -very- messy.  My advice for the uninitiated is to stick with 20-15-10 meters during daylight hours.

If there is anyone who does not have HF (High Frequency, basically 80-10 meters) capability who would like to experience DX contest operation, drop me an e-mail and we'll try to schedule a visit to my modest, messy, cramped station.

Rules are here:  http://www.arrl.org/arrl-dx

For those not interested; it'll be a great weekend to be on the uncrowded WARC bands or on another mode.

Side note:  A DXpedition is just arriving at Clipperton Island in the Pacific.  Our friend Dave, WJ2O, who helped present our PZ5RO/Suriname program last April, is there.  They expect to be QRV (on the air) by Thursday.  Their callsign will be TX5K.  Info here:  http://www.cordell.org/CI/

73, Redd - AI2N